News emerged last night that social media giant Facebook was to acquire Instagram.
What made the story particularly newsworthy was the amount of money involved – $1 billion
So how is Instagram worth $1 billion?
I don’t know, but as several people pointed out last night, there will be plenty of articles to help us grapple with the concept over the next few days.
However I’ll have to be forgiven if I’m a little cynical about the valuation.
- Instagram Bought By Facebook (slog.thestranger.com)
- Breaking: Facebook buys Instagram for about $1 Billion (gigaom.com)
- Facebook buys Instagram in billion-dollar deal (thestar.com)
- Facebook will buy Instagram for $1Billion Dollars [Breaking News] (androidauthority.com)
- Facebook Buying Instagram Makes Perfect Sense (readwriteweb.com)
- Facebook Buys Instagram (facebook.com)
- Breaking: Facebook’s Buying Instagram for a Billion Dollars (Updating) [Instagram] (gizmodo.com)
- Facebook buys Instagram for $1B, says it will keep the product independent (venturebeat.com)
- Instagram is the YouTube of photos, so the Facebook acquisition isn’t a surprise at all (thenextweb.com)