Our guest this week is Paul Savage, SEO expert and Irishman abroad. Paul lives and works in Munich, where he runs BlackDog.ie, an SEO consultancy business. He’s a regular listener to technology.ie and after a twitter exchange with Michele he agreed to come on the show this week for a chat about Search Engine Optimisation.
Paul points out that for most people, it boils down to a choice between time or money. If you’ve got time but no money there’s a lot that the average webmaster can do to improve his or her traffic without having to hire a professional such as himself. He lists 8 common SEO pitfalls to avoid:
- Buying spammy links, selling links, link exchanges. It doesn’t work and wastes money.
- Purchasing video views / Facebook likes / Google Plus votes. See above.
- Non unique content – i.e. copying supplier manuals FAQs, glossary, marketing : what you can do to either stop this content being indexed or thoughts on re-writing it. [nofollow/noindex]
- Navigational issues
- cleaning up after you remove pages. : should you 301 it or leave the page there hanging ?
- linking to relevant sources : linking to outside resources is good, linking to competitors bad, but if you have to do , rel=nofollow them.
- Over optimisation, to the detriment of of user experience: Writing usable titles, anchors, navigation
- What is keyword research: seeing your site from your customers perspective, or different types of customer perspectives, and now what are they potentially search for.
- Structuring a website, having a hierarchy, showing search engines and humans a relationship in your content
- Not testing your own ideas : Don’t be afraid to test, wait and analyse. If you have an idea why not try it and see how the SERPs react ?
Technology.ie is brought to you by Blacknight, Ireland’s largest provider of domains and hosting. Now you can register .co.uk domains up to 10 years! They’re still running a GoMobi promotion and the recruitment campaign continues. Also, this week they’ve got a special offer on .be domains.